Re: libstdc++2.8 is missing from slink

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > I've just been told that libstdc++2.8 is missing from slink, it seems to
> > me that this is a rather massive oversight as alot of packages are still
> > linked against libstdc++2.8, not 2.9..
>
> It's actually been removed very deliberately: the egcs package no longer
> creates libstdc++2.8, so we don't have the source for it in slink. Which
> means it must be removed.
>
> What someone should do is extract the appropriate source from an older
> egcs package and use that to create a libstdc++2.8 for the oldlibs
> section.

It would be much better if packages weren't removed from the archive while there
are still others which depend on it. The new scripts for generating the
web pages work out all package dependencies and could be easily modified
to print out a list of packages that depend on a particular package.

Such a script should be used before any packages are removed from the archive.
Even if it is decided that the package be removed, people will know immediately
the scope of the problem and start working on a solution - instead of discovering
it weeks later.

This really sounds like something that should be discussed on -policy.

Jay Treacy