Re: potential internet access loss =<

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 08:52:16AM -0700, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > Thanks Tim, I've been trying to pull some crazed solution about ssh tunnels
> > and user level pop servers out of my head with helpful suggestions from
> > #debian, lots of ideas but none of them as efficient as just sending the
> > mail to a machine with a pop server.  =>
>
> Here's a 'SCP-POP' script I wrote a couple of weeks ago, if anyone care... :)

ahha!  ssh -x is what I was missing...!

essentially:

	If there is new mail:
		ssh to move the mailbox file to new file and gzip new file
		scp the new file to our machine
		zcat local new file | formail -d -n 10 -s procmail
		if all is well, delete the temp file

For safety, the name of the local file should be a "random" name pid, time,
host, all that...  and a lock would be smart, something to keep two of these
things from happening at once..

Elegant, effective, this is what I was after.  =>  Script borrowed, will see
what I can do to abuse it later.