Re: intent to package: PCx (non-free?)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

jrv>Laboratory.  It was developed under U.S. Government contract, so there
jrv>are no fees required for its use.  Unfortunately, the license does
jrv>require notification for "incorporat[ing] this software, or a work
jrv>based on this software, into a product for sale".  I think this
jrv>violates the DFSG, so PCx would have to go into non-free.  I have
jrv>written for clarification, but have not received any reply yet.  It is
jrv>just possible that my query can satisfy their notification
jrv>requirement.

	They would also have to allow others who get it from Debian to
redistribute it to others who may use it in commercial applications
without asking permission, i.e., it cannot be a license made specially for
Debian.  But you probably know this already ....

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>