Intent to package mergemem + Need some help

mergemem is listed in WNPP in the X11 section.  It isn't anything to do
with X11, but it does look useful.  (Mergemem attempts to find common data
segments between different processes, and use only one data segment for
them, marking them as copy-on-write.)  It is GPL'd.  Is anyone else out
there working on it/ have comments?

The package requires a kernel patch and module.  I guess I stick the module
source in /usr/src/modules/mergemem/.  What are people's suggestions for
the kernel patch?  Currently, I'm thinking of:

- use /usr/src/kernel-patches/${arch}/apply and unpatch as appropriate,
- tell the user about it in the postinst (in case they don't use
make-kpkg), and
- offer to add a "patch_the_kernel := YES" line to /etc/kernel-pkg.conf
(defaulting to not to) if it isn't there already, explaining how this will
aid make-kpkg.

Should this last step default to yes?  kernel-pkg.conf(5) says that
patch_the_kernel "is evolving"

TIA

 -- Christopher Reed, Selwyn College, Cambridge --
 E-Mail: cr212@cam.ac.uk  WWW: http://dura.sel.cam.ac.uk/ [~cr212/]
 r2 T1 cSEL dCS hEn/Chi A4 S+ C*$+++L/UdP W+++ y# a VTsj (Cantab) 1.0
... gave me an "I want to return to the controllable and nonthreatening
world inside my computer" stare ...