Re: FTP mirrors

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 01:47:31PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > http://www.debian.org/~jgg/Mirrors
>
> Hi there,
>
> This list is much shorter than the list (74 entries!) I got earlier from the
> ftp site.  But the new list is also structured more usefully :)

The ftp site list is also somewhat dated.. Updates to my list are quite
welcome, send to jgg-mirrors@debian.org! Note it takes quite a bit of time
to collect all the information.

> I want to script netselect (http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/netselect)
> to automatically choose the fastest Debian mirror for use with APT.  This
> file contains all the information I need, though actually I'd prefer to
> parse http://www.debian.org/~jgg/mastersourcelist, since lines are already
> in the required format.  Is one file generated from the other?

mastersourcelist provided to be un-usefull, this file is to be the
authoritative list of mirrors, replacing all other lists. The list is also
missing the tags that declare what sections of the distribution the site
has, those are to be automatically built someday.

> How well does APT's ftp client work?  Should I prefer a relatively laggy
> HTTP site over a faster FTP site, or are they about the same, or the other
> way around?

FTP works ok, HTTP is all round a better protocol though. HTTP is
bandwidth, not latency sensitive and FTP is both bandwidth and latency
sensitive.

Jason