Re: FTP mirrors

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 01:47:31PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> http://www.debian.org/~jgg/Mirrors

Hi there,

This list is much shorter than the list (74 entries!) I got earlier from the
ftp site.  But the new list is also structured more usefully :)

I want to script netselect (http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/netselect)
to automatically choose the fastest Debian mirror for use with APT.  This
file contains all the information I need, though actually I'd prefer to
parse http://www.debian.org/~jgg/mastersourcelist, since lines are already
in the required format.  Is one file generated from the other?

How well does APT's ftp client work?  Should I prefer a relatively laggy
HTTP site over a faster FTP site, or are they about the same, or the other
way around?

Any other pointers?

The new netselect (0.2) is much more reliable than the first release, and
faster because it resolves lots of DNS names in parallel.  It does proper
scoring and consistently chooses one of the fastest mirrors for me
(debian.crosslink.net) from the list.  Of course, until I found the new
Mirrors file, I didn't know crosslink.net had an http copy of the archive :)

Have fun,

Avery