Re: Intent-to-package: berlin DR1

On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 02:23:45PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 12, 1998 at 09:14:19PM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> > > I have been in contact with graydon, and have been watching the project grow
> > > from vaporware to something real. I would like to contribute, although it
> > > will be far from finished, a packaged version of berlin .01 at the point
> > > (soon) that it is released.
> > > 	This will give program developers a solid idea of what exactly
> > > berlin is, what its capabilities are, and a working development environment
> > > for the new corba-based windowing system. I would assume that the package
> > > be placed in contrib (and project/experimental or project/alpha) rather than
> > > main until which time it becomes fully developed.
> >
> > Both experimental and contrib are not intended for alpha software.
>
> Experimental is not?  Then I wonder what it is for.

Things can only go in experimental if there is a more stable version
elsewhere in the distribution.  At least that's what was said a few years ago.

I really think we need to resort this out - personally I liked the idea of
having several sections, in increasing order of stability.  So a new package
which is unlikely to work correctly and hose your system goes into
"experimental"; a major change version (particularly in packaging) goes into a
"testing"; a minor change goes into "changed".  When a package has proved
stable enough, it can be promoted into a higher catagory.

Currently, the best you can do is to put a "warning - this may break your
system" message it the upload message (or description message).  Lots of
people don't read either of these for updated packages.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution