Re: KLyX (Was: Not only KDE)

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 02:31:26PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 02:53:57PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> > I see. That is our LyX package just needs such a statement. And since it
> > didn't incorporate other GPLed stuff that shouldn't be an issue. But the KDE
> > version klyx still isn't allowed to be distributed, right?
>
> Well, if you have a statement from the LyX author saying it's OK to link it
> against Qt, and a statement from the KDE patch author that it's OK to link
> their bit against Qt, then you are OK AFAIKS, otherwise the LyX GPL rules out
> linking it against Qt and distributing the result.

I was lurking on the LyX mailing list for some time up until a month or two
ago.  Porting of LyX to Qt, i.e. KLyX, was initiated by the guy who started
LyX in the first place AFAIK.  Some developers in the LyX Team were mildly
annoyed and expressed concerns about the split in development efforts.
The LyX Team has been working to make LyX GUI-independent so people can port
to whatever widget sets they prefer.  KLyX, to some, seems to be unnecessary
duplicate efforts, and it would be better for the people working on KLyX to
contribute directly to LyX's GUI-indepence instead.  However, apparently,
the KLyX people just can't wait and leave KDE without a decent word
processor.

However, there didn't seem to be any concerns about licensing problems.
Both the LyX Team and the KLyX Team continue to improve their products, and
enhancements in features to KLyX are often contributed back to LyX, and
probably vice versa.

So, KLyX continues to use Qt, whereas the LyX Team continue to fix bugs, add
features, and prepare to reorganize/rewrite the codes to make LyX
GUI-Independent.

So, I suppose there should be little or no problem with the LyX/KLyX
situation, although it may be a good idea to ask them to clarify this issue
officially and include an exception clause in their licenses.  Something
like that?  I don't know.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada