Re: Can we pull KDE?

On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 06:57:46AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
> > i think someone proposed a solution for this some time ago, what
> > i think happened to it ? he said he had family who are lawyer.
>
> Why do we need a lawyer for this particular license when we've never
> needed a lawyer to decide about any other packages with bad licenses?

Exactly: I saw discussions in debian-devel about packages, because
the author used to asks a post-card (or similar things); now we have some
packages very big without a valid license and using linking GPL'd code of
other authors with a proprieary library and this does'nt seem create big
problems. Very curious.

> Anyways, I see no reason to wait for a lawyer to be educated on this
> whole issue then render a decision.  We can always put the packages back
> if somehow it turns out to be ok to distribute works in a fashion which
> is explicitly forbidden by their license.

If a package is so a mess (I'm speaking about the license) that we need a
lawyer to understand the issue, this is a good reason to dump a package,
especially for a contrib or main package.

> --
> Raul

Francesco