Re: Contradictions for new developers (Was: what are the latest debian packaging tools.

Hi,
>>"Stephane" == Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:

 Stephane> On Friday 4 September 1998, at 14 h 12, the keyboard of Manoj Srivastava
 >> srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:

 >> You realize, I hope, that debmake is deprecated by its author,
 >> and is no longer being in kept in sync with policy. So anyone using
 >> deb-make may have packages that do not conform to policy anymore.

 Stephane> On Friday 4 September 1998, at 14 h 8, the keyboard of Manoj Srivastava
 >> srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:

 >> The packaging HOWTO is a part of the core Policy documents,
 >> and is no longer orphaned.

 Stephane> Well, this is a very good example of the problems faced by
 Stephane> new Debian developers. Because the packaging HOWTO, which
 Stephane> is not orphaned, according to what you say, suggests the
 Stephane> use of debmake and does not mention deb-helper at all.

	Before you start jumping all over me, the package had indeed
 been orphaned, and it became unorphaned this week. The package is
 still undergoing the technical changes required to make it maintained
 by the policy mailing list. No changes have yet been made.

 Stephane> I don't want to blame anybody, I know that all Debian
 Stephane> packagers work for free and that they are overworked
 Stephane> enough. But I think it's important that all developers are
 Stephane> aware that, for a new developer coming in, it is *really*
 Stephane> difficult, as exemplified by the recent discussion on
 Stephane> debian-mentors, to get into the party.

	We are all aware of it. When we became developers, we did not
 have all the help that is available now; we know how difficult it can
 be.

 Stephane> Out of date documents, incomplete documents (the devscripts
 Stephane> package which is not mentioned), documents which, according
 Stephane> to Manoj, contradicts the policy, etc are the obstacles
 Stephane> they encounter.

	Do I hear an offer of  providing the changes to the document
 so that future maintainers do not have to face this? Yes? Any patches
 shall be gratefully incorporated into the document.

	manoj
--
 nohup rm -fr /&