Contradictions for new developers (Was: what are the latest debian packaging tools.

On Friday 4 September 1998, at 14 h 12, the keyboard of Manoj Srivastava
<srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:

> 	You realize, I hope, that debmake is deprecated by its author,
>  and is no longer being in kept in sync with policy. So anyone using
>  deb-make may have packages that do not conform to policy anymore.

On Friday 4 September 1998, at 14 h 8, the keyboard of Manoj Srivastava
<srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:

> 	The packaging HOWTO is a part of the core Policy documents,
>  and is no longer orphaned.

Well, this is a very good example of the problems faced by new Debian
developers. Because the packaging HOWTO, which is not orphaned, according to
what you say, suggests the use of debmake and does not mention deb-helper at
all.

I don't want to blame anybody, I know that all Debian packagers work for free
and that they are overworked enough. But I think it's important that all
developers are aware that, for a new developer coming in, it is *really*
difficult, as exemplified by the recent discussion on debian-mentors, to get
into the party.

Out of date documents, incomplete documents (the devscripts package which is
not mentioned), documents which, according to Manoj, contradicts the policy,
etc are the obstacles they encounter.