Re: Can we pull KDE?

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 12:47:02AM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:
> David Welton said:
> > Why doesn't someone ask them what they will or will not do with
> > Harmony, and when they might do it?  As well as when they will be
> > changing their license (adding the clause about qt being an
> > exception).
>
> We have.  When Harmony first started being worked on, we approached KDE
> about it.  Their response:  They would continue to use qt, because qt
> would always have more features than Harmony.  They would not limit
> themselves to core qt features that Harmony would provide.  So using
> Harmony as a way to get KDE away from qt is a lost cause.

Yes, I recall that.  That was a long time ago, we should see if thigns
have changed at all - as Zed pointed out, this will be a fairly major
statement on our part, so we should do it methodically, slowly, and
correctly.

> As far as relicensing KDE to allow linking with qt... We've asked,
> they've said they would, they haven't.  Since then, we've discovered
> GPLed code -not- belonging to the KDE core developers incorporated
> within KDE which they don't have the right to change the license on.

This is probably reason enough to dump it, but we should check on the
other things as well..  If they were to use Harmony, all would be well.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org