Re: Can we pull KDE?

David Welton said:
> Why doesn't someone ask them what they will or will not do with
> Harmony, and when they might do it?  As well as when they will be
> changing their license (adding the clause about qt being an
> exception).

We have.  When Harmony first started being worked on, we approached KDE
about it.  Their response:  They would continue to use qt, because qt
would always have more features than Harmony.  They would not limit
themselves to core qt features that Harmony would provide.  So using
Harmony as a way to get KDE away from qt is a lost cause.

As far as relicensing KDE to allow linking with qt... We've asked,
they've said they would, they haven't.  Since then, we've discovered
GPLed code -not- belonging to the KDE core developers incorporated
within KDE which they don't have the right to change the license on.

So even if they do come back and give us a new license that allows qt
as an exception, I don't know if I personally would consider that good
enough.  Did they get permission from everybody?  If not, then it still
isn't legal.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our