Re: Kernel compile fails on Cyrix...

Jeremy Tregunna <intrigue@golden.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> >     I just installed hamm on a cyrix 686 system from scratch and
> > I have 2 problems:
> >
> > 1. X11 crashes about once in a hour for no apparent reason.
>
> Cyrix has a big problem, what you could try and do is underclock your CPU
> from say 233 for example, to 200, if you still get this problem, it's
> because Cyrix makes really shitty CPU's and such, and are not really
> reliable.

I also have been running Cyrix 686 (rev 2.6) for about 2 years now, and
I have never been able to have any better uptime than a few days...

X crashes every now and then (but quite often I've been lucky), gcc keeps
segfaulting etc, etc...

fog, I strongly suggest you throw that darn Cyrix away (stomp on it might
help to, if only for psychologic reasons... :), and buy a Intel (I don't
know about the AMD, but I've heard that they have about the same problem).

There is one thing that will make it better (but not good enough) and that
is running a development kernel (2.1)... I've been running 2.1.117-ac3 for
a couple of weeks now, and I've only had 2-3 krashes a week (as apoused to
2-3 krashes A DAY!! Very windows like :).

I haven't tried the underclocking, but I will as soon as it crashes again
(later today, or so :)

> > 2. The kernel compile fails during the make menuconfig or make
> > xconfig. At the first invocation of gcc the compiler dies
> > saying "internal error - cc1 killed by signnal 11".
>
> A sig11 error from gcc usually indicates hardware fault... and since
> cyrix's are crappy machines (in my opinion and known as a fact) this would
> be your problem. I would suggest (if you can) dropping the cyrix and
> picking up a pentium, or a k6.
>

> > I never installed Debian on a Cyrix, is this a known cyrix problem?
> > If not what can be the cause?

It is, and it's because Cyrix is crap! I get this gcc thing to, and it seems
that it's only on bigger files (??). I've learned to live with it, I haven't
been able to afford another CPU, and now it's impossible to find a replacement
Intel (non-mmx, >166MHz)...

So, if I can't find a new CPU, I will have to upgrade the whole machine, and
I really hate to upgrade just for this reason, a 166 is good enough for me,
I don't really need anything else (The machine is about two years old, but
it still is a good machine to me... Does that sound stupid, or what, in this
'I must upgrade every 6 month' world :)

The upcoming 2.0.36 kernel (I can't remember where I found the prepach, but
check freshmeat) are supposed to have better support for detecting a Cyrix
CPU, but it didn't work for me... You can also start your search for a solution
at 'http://gwyn.tux.org/~balsa/linux/cyrix/index.html', it might do you some
good, but it didn't do much to me...

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ Surrey/B.C./Canada      (604)572-3523
Debian Certified Linux Developer  PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B --------
--
counter-intelligence Ft. Bragg plutonium fissionable smuggle AK-47
kibo quiche Honduras class struggle Kennedy Marxist assassination