Re: Kernel compile fails on Cyrix...

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
>     I just installed hamm on a cyrix 686 system from scratch and
> I have 2 problems:
>
> 1. X11 crashes about once in a hour for no apparent reason.

Cyrix has a big problem, what you could try and do is underclock your CPU
from say 233 for example, to 200, if you still get this problem, it's
because Cyrix makes really shitty CPU's and such, and are not really
reliable.

> 2. The kernel compile fails during the make menuconfig or make
> xconfig. At the first invocation of gcc the compiler dies
> saying "internal error - cc1 killed by signnal 11".

A sig11 error from gcc usually indicates hardware fault... and since
cyrix's are crappy machines (in my opinion and known as a fact) this would
be your problem. I would suggest (if you can) dropping the cyrix and
picking up a pentium, or a k6.