Re: Kernel compile fails on Cyrix... (salved, for me)

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
> Jeremy Tregunna <intrigue@golden.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > >     I just installed hamm on a cyrix 686 system from scratch and
> > > I have 2 problems:
> > >
> > > 1. X11 crashes about once in a hour for no apparent reason.
> >
> > Cyrix has a big problem, what you could try and do is underclock your CPU
> > from say 233 for example, to 200, if you still get this problem, it's
>
> I also have been running Cyrix 686 (rev 2.6) for about 2 years now, and
> I have never been able to have any better uptime than a few days...
>
> X crashes every now and then (but quite often I've been lucky), gcc keeps
> segfaulting etc, etc...
>
> fog, I strongly suggest you throw that darn Cyrix away (stomp on it might
> help to, if only for psychologic reasons... :), and buy a Intel (I don't
> know about the AMD, but I've heard that they have about the same problem).
>
> There is one thing that will make it better (but not good enough) and that
> is running a development kernel (2.1)... I've been running 2.1.117-ac3 for
> a couple of weeks now, and I've only had 2-3 krashes a week (as apoused to
> 2-3 krashes A DAY!! Very windows like :).
>
> I haven't tried the underclocking, but I will as soon as it crashes again
> (later today, or so :)

The other day my machine totaly died. The BIOS froze, and it was not possible
to get it to recognize the hardware...

CPU : Unknown
Speed : 16Mhz
Base memory : 0k

etc, etc...

After 12 hours I gave up, and started to look for a replacement motherboard,
but it was a little to early for my friends to be up, which _MIGHT_ be able
to loan my a MB for a while I was searching for a new (or used) one...

Why I waited for the time to get a little more ... propper, I was poking around
the BIOS config (That's about as faar as the BIOS wanted to go), I disabled
the External Cache. I did that with out thinking, I can hardly remember doing
it,  it was very subconcius.

The machine worked like a charm!!!! It even worked better than before! I even
managed to compile the whole kernel, without getting those SIG's... :)

It's a little slower though, not much, but notisable... But who cares, it doesn't
crash all the time :)

As I said, I checked the memmory wery trougly, but I checked the _WRONG_
memory!! :)

--
-- Microsoft: Do less with more.   UNIX on Intel: Do more with less. --
 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just

--
security supercomputer BATF Albanian Marxist strategic Ft. Bragg
domestic disruption nuclear Waco, Texas smuggle Peking $400 million in