Re: software licensing

john@dhh.gt.org <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> The GPL requires that *if* I make and distribute copies I must grant
> to the recipients the same rights I received. It does not in any way
> require that I make and distribute copies or permit them to be made
> and distributed.

The GPL requires that the person who distributed the copies to you
distributes them under terms that allow unlimited redistribution.  If you
don't distribute copies, you're not a distributor, but you can't change
the terms under which they were originally distributed.

Whether this means anything in a situation where a corporation has
applied custom modifications to the GPLed code is probably going to
be highly sensitive to the circumstances, and would be up to a court
to decide (should it come to that).

--
Raul