Re: software licensing

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 10:58:07AM -0500, Rob Tillotson wrote:
> There are two contracts being offered by the employer: the employment
> contract, which says "don't distribute the software", and the GPL (in
> force because the employees have been given the code) which says "do
> distribute the software".  They cannot be satisfied simultaneously, so
> one of them must effectively lose a term in order to satisfy the
> other.

I do not think that the employee has been "given" the code. Rather,
they have been given access to use it. If my employer provides
some proprietary software for my use, I haven't been given the software
at all -- I don't think it should be any different for GPL.

On the other hand if the employer gives me a disk to install on my PC
at home, I really have been given it.

Hamish