Re: software licensing

Rob Tillotson writes:
> Even an in-house product will be copied to the employees; hence, even an
> in-house GPLed project carries its GPL through its entire lifetime, and
> the employees must -- if the license is to be honored -- be given the
> right to redistribute.

But the GPL does not and cannot affect the conditions of employment of my
employees.  Assume that I acquire a piece of BSD code, modify it, and give
copies to my employees, telling them that they are not make any copies or
give it to anyone else.  One of them does so, gets caught, and I fire him.
I can now sue him and any one he gave copies to and force them to destroy
the illegal copies.  If the same happens with GPL code, I can still fire
the employee, but I can do nothing about the copies.