Re: SSH v2 License --- much less free than v1

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 09:26:09AM +0200, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 09:35:18AM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
> : >>>>> "Raul" == Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:
> :     Raul> I believe there's already a gnu project going to replace
> :     Raul> ssh, though I'm sure they'd be happy for any help.
> :
> : And I'd be happy to give it - I just live in the wrong country for
> : that to be possible. :(
>
> What if you use a non-US-located computer via remote access from
> your US-located terminal for programming cryptographic software?
> Does this fall under the export restrictions?

This is interesting. Well, the lines you type on your keyboard are
transmitted (=exported) to another country, aren't they?

What if you stand on the border of the US to Mexico and read the source code
you wrote aloud, and in Mexico someone else stands and types it in a laptop
(this may be okay, as reading it aloud is not machine readable. But then,
you could use speech recognition...).

The reason that there exists such silly solutions is inherent in the silly
crypto laws of the US, I think.

Marcus