Re: SSH v2 License --- much less free than v1

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 10:50:28AM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Philip> Having read the license (which I attach bellow), I'm not
>     Philip> inclined to package it, since I really cannot see many
>     Philip> people being able to use it.
>
>     Philip> I'm also not certain that we are allowed to distribute it
>     Philip> in binary form.
>
>     Philip> Is this something that worries people, or do you think
>     Philip> that we should be packaging SSH v2 ?
>
> I, for one, will *not* be using ssh v2 as that licence prohibits
> nearly every activity in which I am engaged.  Does the v1 licence
> allow us to support/continue development independently?

Offhand, I really don't see a big difference from v1.

"(b) You may use the program for non-commercial purposes only, meaning
that the program must not be sold commercially as a separate product,
as part of a bigger product or project, or otherwise used for
financial gain without a separate license. Please see Section 2,
Restrictions, for more details."

And this, which is kind of iffy:

"Use by individuals and non-profit organizations is always allowed.
Companies are permitted to use this program as long as it is not used
for revenue-generating purposes. For example, an Internet service
provider is allowed to install this program on their systems and
permit clients to use SSH to connect; however, actively distributing
SSH to clients for the purpose of providing added value requires
separate licensing.  Similarly, a consultant may freely install this
software on a client's machine for his own use, but if he/she sells
the client a system that uses SSH as a component, a separate license
is required. If a company includes this program or a derivative work
thereof, as part of its product, commercial licensing is required."

"(c) You may build derived versions of this software under the
restrictions stated in Section 2, Restrictions, of this license. The
derived versions must be clearly marked as such and must be called by
a name other than SSH or F-Secure SSH. SSH and F-Secure SSH are
trademarks of SSH Communications Security and Data Fellows.

All derived versions of the Program must be made freely available
under the terms of this license. SSH Communications Security and Data
Fellows must be given the right to use the modified source code in
their products without any compensation and without being required to
separately name the parties whose modifications are being used."

Time for a free ssh.. this is a big thorn in our side:-/

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org