Re: SSH v2 License --- much less free than v1

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
>
> > Having read the license (which I attach bellow), I'm not inclined to package
> > it, since I really cannot see many people being able to use it.
>
> I think you should package this as ssh2, but continue to package
> version 1 as well.  They can conflict.  If it's too much work to
> package both, then just stay with 1.

I really cannot be bothered.  I'm not sure the licence even allows me to run
it for testing purposes, before releasing the package, so I'm not going to be
able to use it.

If someone else wants to package it, I'll certainly help them to make the two
packages as compatible as possible.

I suppose one good thing about this is that it might spur people into action
regarding a DFSG ssh clone.

> > I'm also not certain that we are allowed to distribute it in binary form.
>
> I don't see anything which indicates that.

Sorry, I failed to look up their definition of SOFTWARE.

No problem with that then.

Cheers, Phil.