Commercial applications on Debian - What is libc.cat?

I have problems starting commercial applications on a Debian system. In detail:
I installed maple on a Debian 1.3 system (2.0 does not change much). If I
start it (xmaple) on the system, it works fine. If I log in remote form a SUN
workstation, I get a segmentation fault (both using rsh and ssh). I have
another program with the same problem. Short before crashing both applications
do not find libc.cat. I am not sure if this is related to the crash, but it
could at least.

I do not want to post the long strace outputs, I therefore made them available
over WEB:

http://www.ra.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~rainer/Download/telefon.log

http://www.ra.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~rainer/Download/xmaple.log

Any other applications (e.g. StarOffice) work fine, i.e. the problem is not
bound to all commercial applications, but it seems to happen often.

I would appreciate any suggestion.

--
Rainer Dorsch
Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de