Re: more from Linux Foundation

Russell Coker writes:
> But I really believe that this comes down to a freedom issue.  If some
> Debian developers want to earn money working for Prometric then no-one
> should try and stop them.  The only issue is whether the tests should be
> acknowledged and/or promoted by SPI and other organizations.  But they
> can go ahead and run the tests even if SPI don't like it so that
> shouldn't be an issue.

I have no objection whatever to Sylvan selling Debian Linux tests, or to
developers working with them.  It is the attempt to hide behind the "Linux
Foundation" that leaves a bad taste.  I get the impression that these
people labor under the mistaken belief that the free software community
considers making money evil, but that we will go along with it as long as
they put up a "non-profit" front and share the loot with us.

Making money from free software is fine.  Making money from Linux is fine.
Making money from Debian is fine.  Just be up front about it.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)