Re: more from Linux Foundation

Russell Coker wrote:

> >I really see no problem with them making US$120 off this test. If
>
> >there's opposition to it, why not come up with a free test?
>
> To be commercially accepted it can't be free.  Also there is a certain amount
> of administrative work involved in testing that would be too much of a drag
> for non-commercial testers (you have to watch the people do the tests and
> check IDs etc).

This is not entirely true.  Amatuer Radio opperators have been giving
volunteer tests for much less.  When one attains a level of General
Class they are allowed to give the Novice test.  It requires a VEC
(Volunteer Examining Committie) of three, usually Extra Class(highest),
to give Technician through Extra Class exams.  The fees are much less;
question pool is published; mentoring system (mentors called Elmers).
Questions are multiple choice (could be on-line w/ wittness).

Your exam results are then signed (we could use PGP) and sent to the FCC
(we could have a server).

It _is_ possible to have a volunteer examination process.

Enjoy -- Greg.
--
What do you want to spend today?
Debian GNU/Linux  (Free for an UNLIMITED time)