Re: Australian Personal Computer - Highly Commended Award (fwd)

On 20-Aug-1998, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> > It was very good in the early 1990s and late 1988s (when they had
> > assembler listings :-) It's improved recently though, with reasonable Linux
> > coverage (albeit mostly RedHat) and some Linux stuff on the cover disc.
> > They have become a bit MS-cyncical of late too.
>
> Is there a URL on their web site, which mentions this award ?
>
> If so, I think we should announce it on Slashdot.

I just picked up the magazine today, Debian was actually awarded
"Most Promising Distribtion", RedHat got "Best Distribution",
with Caldera getting "Highly Commended".

The blurb on Debian was:

	Debian GNU/Linux is a very high-quality distribution, with
	an extensive selection of carefully prepared software packages.

	Great care has also been taken in the general layout and
	integration of the system, the integrity of which may be
	maintained with advanced package management facilities.

	Debian is slightly more difficult for a non-technical user to
	manage than Red Hat.

The reviewer (James Morris) also stated

	... Debian is a solid, comprehensive product and a genuine
	pleasure to use.  It is also great to become involved with
	the Debian collective, whose friendliness and spirit recalls
	the early days of the Internet and its sense of openness and
	global cooperation.

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net