Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

 Guy> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
 >> I think I agree with Dale: since a verification program
 >> certifies a disrtibution, a modified certification program can allow
 >> a non-conforming distribution to lie about it an pretend they are
 >> qualified.

 Guy> You're willing to bend the DFSG for a standard,

	Do you know what the DFSG stands for? Really? Do you know it
 stands for DF *SOFTWARE* G? and not DF Standards and software G? I am
 not bending the DFSG fir standards, since the dfSG does not apply to
 them. (Nor does it apply to most of the other document categories I
 posted about in the policy group)

 Guy> and now you're willing to bend the DFSG for a program that
 Guy> checks a standard?

	Yes, since I believe that this program is actually part of the
 standard. This is not a reference implementation of the standard,
 this code is actually part of the standard. And the DF Software G
 does not apply.

 Guy> I very much disagree with the direction that this is going.  I still
 Guy> believe that a standard gains nothing by disallowing itself from being
 Guy> modified.  You project doomsday scenarious of incompatible software,
 Guy> but immutable standards don't prevent this!  There is no militia to
 Guy> make sure we don't all follow different standards, merely by writing
 Guy> our own.

	I think you are being naive. I have seen standards extended
 and suborned into oblivion, and unfortunately, we are emerging from
 our little world of hackers into the real world, where such things
 happen.

 Guy> What immutable standards do prevent however is innovation and
 Guy> progress.  I am forced to write my own standard from scratch if I want
 Guy> to share my ideas.

	If innovation and progress make us incompatibel from every
 other distribution for no good technical reason, then it is not
 progress.

	If you want to innovate, coe up with alternatives. Come up
 with compelling arguments or non-conforming applications, and we
 shall see about getting the standards changed.

	But don't spread FUD about how standards strangle progress. I
 remember what C was like before it got standardized. I remember when
 CORBA was not yet a standard.

	These are growing pains, kids. Get used to them.

	manoj
--
 In success there's a tendency to keep on doing what you were
 doing. Alan Kay