Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:12:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
Subject: Re: First cut at testing and validation
To: Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org>

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:

> Hello
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 11:02:59AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > #!/bin/sh
> > # Program: validate
> > #
> > # Copyright 1998 Dale Scheetz all rights reserved
> > #
> > # This program and all its ancillary components may be copied and used
> > # freely by anyone with only the following restriction. Modification of
> > # this software, and its components is strictly forbidden.
> > #
> > # Although this material is expected to be used in the Free Software
> > # community, where such modification is routinely allowed, such practice
> > # can not be allowed when standards verification is the intention.
>
> Do you, Dale Scheetz, think it is a good think, to make validate not
> DFSG-free?

There is no choice in this case. Anything less that absolute imutability
defeats the purpose of this test bench.

> I see your intention. But validate go with this copyright not in the debian
> main-distribution! And not on the CD-Roms!

Not at all! There are no restrictions against its free distribution, only
modification. If Debian can't see the need for an exception, I am not
going to defeat the purpose of the software simply to please Debian. Those
who want to validate a system will have easy access to the test bench and
the check sums to verify that they are getting THE validation code, and
not a modified version. This is the only way that the validation process
can be trustworthy for those trying to decide if they are compliant.

> My proposel:
> If you make a modificated version of this software or its components you must
> change the name of the program and it must not say: 'This system is LCS
> compliant'!
>
> Is this not the right way Dale?

No it defeats the whole purpose of the software.

This is not a "nifty program" that can have bugs removed and features
added by the community at large in any way that will result in
"improvement" of the code. Users of this code must be able to trust that
it is identical to what was written, down to the last character.

> Have the LCS projekt a web-page or a archives of the mailing list?

The lcs-eng list is being archived, last time I asked, but there is no one
with the time to maintain a web page, as we are all concentrating on
working on the standard.

Luck,

Dwarf

----- End forwarded message -----

Is this for Debian ok?

Or must the LCS programs go to non-free?

Grisu

--
Michael Bramer - a Debian Certified Linux Developer        http://www.debian.org
PGP: finger grisu@master.debian.org   --   Linux Sysadmin   --  Use Debian Linux