Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:

> Hello
>
> Today I have read the first time from the lcs projekt.
>
> After that I subcrib the lcp-en mailing list and found a eMail from
> Dale Scheetz. In this eMail he send program code this a copyright.
> I have ask him, to change the copyright to a DFSG-free copyright.
>
> This is the answer:

It is impolite to copy a private email to a public forum, without
permission from the author (Dale).

Having said that, this is eerily like the discussion we are having on
-policy at the moment about standards documents.

I can't quite agree with Dale's approach on this.

IMHO, the 'validate' program should be modifiable, but should have a
clause dictating that any modified version must be distributed under a
different name, and clearly marked as such.

Furthermore, the LCS team could have on their websites the sizes and
md5sums of 'validate' (and any other scripts, and documents, which have
similar issues attached to them).  This means that it is possible to
verify a given copy of 'validate' as being correct, buyt still distribute
it as free software.

Dale: Would this not be appropriate?

Jules