Re: Gnome 0.25/0.26 uploaded

In article <[🔎] 87af5aq0ml.fsf@fleming.jimpick.com> you write:
>Users of the KDE packages will be disappointed to find that the KDE
>menu entries in /usr/share/apps mess up the menu in the Gnome panel,
>which also uses the same directory.
>
>It was too difficult for me to move the directory.  I have
>communicated this to the Gnome folks, and they are considering moving
>that directory to /usr/share/gnome/apps in a future release.

please don't do that ! i'm willing to invest some work to the panel
applications, so that both panels can read both files. in the end i hope
we can even make the debian menu system read that files.
windows has this - every applications can register itself in the menu system
with nice icons. i want this for linux too, but better. and there should be
one common system, not two, three or more and incompatible systems.

>If people are impatient, and can't wait for the files to be installed
>into the Debian ftp site - I'd recommend grabbing the files from my
>ftp site rather than from incoming.  There are a lot of files, and
>they are heirarchically organized on my site, so you will be less likely
>to miss some.  Get 'em from here:
>
>  ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/debian/pkgs/

what about a Packages file so we can use apt for downloading ?

andreas