Re: Wanted: PGP maintainer

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> > And I'm in Canada, that was OK, wasn't it?
>
> As far as I know, Canada is not good enough. You are allowed to export
> crypto stuff from the US to Canada, but not out from Canada. However,
> I haven't been following the laws of other countries, and any prospective
> maintainer should check these things out for themselves.

The openBSD people found that Canada does not have export restrictions
like the US. If you import cyrptography from say germany you can re-export
it to any country that will let you import it. However, if it was exported
from the US then you can't export it to anyone but the US.

Canada has the odd situation of being able to use both pgp from the US and
pgp from non-US with or with rsa quite legally.

Jason