Re: Official CD images

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980807110220.24571F-100000@kepler.midco.net> you write:
> >How does one figure out which release the "Official" CD images are?
> >I've been mirroring the OfficialCD directory off ftp.debian.org for a
> >while now - recently someone asked me whether they were 1.3.1r8 or
> >something else.  Honestly, I don't know :)
>
> http://cdimages.debian.org

I believe that the point here is that this is not ftp.debian.org, which is
the "official" Debian site. When folks go looking for "Official" products
of Debian, it is not unreasonable for them to expect to find them on the
official site.

I understand that space constraints make this problematical, but something
needs to be there to indicate where these objects are really located.

If you don't find it on the official site, and do a search of the mail
archives, you are much more likely to come up with an alternate,
prerelease site, than the cdimages one.

The problem here is mis-communication, not the mis-location of the image.

Luck,

Dwarf