Re: Official CD images

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

: On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
:
: > In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980807110220.24571F-100000@kepler.midco.net> you write:
: > >How does one figure out which release the "Official" CD images are?
: > >I've been mirroring the OfficialCD directory off ftp.debian.org for a
: > >while now - recently someone asked me whether they were 1.3.1r8 or
: > >something else.  Honestly, I don't know :)
: >
: > http://cdimages.debian.org
: >
: I believe that the point here is that this is not ftp.debian.org, which is
: the "official" Debian site. When folks go looking for "Official" products
: of Debian, it is not unreasonable for them to expect to find them on the
: official site.
:
: I understand that space constraints make this problematical, but something
: needs to be there to indicate where these objects are really located.
:
: If you don't find it on the official site, and do a search of the mail
: archives, you are much more likely to come up with an alternate,
: prerelease site, than the cdimages one.
:
: The problem here is mis-communication, not the mis-location of the image.

Mis-communication is right!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear at all.  I've been mirroring the 1.3.1
"Official" CD images from ftp.debian.org for quite some time ... I'm
investigating mirroring the 2.0 "Official" CD images but haven't yet
heard back from Phil Hands.  However, that's not the point.

The point is, there were several "point (groan) releases of 1.3.1 ... I
believe the latest to be released before hamm became stable was 1.3.1r8.
However, there is no obvious way to tell which "version" of 1.3.1 is on
the images found in the OfficialCD directory, at least without burning a
CD.  Take a look!  There's a README for burning images, but it doesn't
bother to tell you what version you're burning :)

Hope this makes it more clear ... someone's expressed interest in
grabbing the images from my mirror but they'd rather not spend the time
and do the burn unless it is indeed 1.3.1r8, and not r(something-else).

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD