Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Hi,

 Santiago> On 5 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> But, historically, we have made Bash essential. There did seem
 >> to be a technical reason when we did that, even if circumstances have
 >> changed since.

 Santiago> Manoj, you are investing too much energy for an
 Santiago> hiphotetical case like bash (which definitely will continue
 Santiago> to be essential at least until there is a proven and well
 Santiago> testet alternative for /bin/sh, I think we agree on this),
 Santiago> but too few energy for restoring procps his essential
 Santiago> flag. Why?

	I was not actively involved in the procps debate. Also, I
 think using /bin/ps is a far cry from using bash, the longest lived
 DFSG free shell, as a command interpreter (ash is newer,
 right?). This issue has farther reaching consequences than whether
 one used /bin/ps in a script (that command is designed for
 interactive use, after all).

	So yes, I do see a difference.

 >> Backwards compatibility? Because we have implied Bash is
 >> always going to be present, and should not yank the rug out from
 >> under peoples feet? Because no sufficiently good reason has ben given
 >> to justify us breaking the promise?

 Santiago> I'm surprised that you still talk about promises. Policy
 Santiago> says nothing about promises. The essential flag is a
 Santiago> technical issue, not a social issue. We want to avoid users
 Santiago> to break their systems completely. That's all. Making bash
 Santiago> non-essential and adding Depends: bash lines for packages
 Santiago> that depend on it will not make the system easier to break,
 Santiago> that's for sure, you would have to use some --force flag in
 Santiago> either case.

	I still fail to see the reason why we should make this effort.

	manoj
--
 A pickup with three guys in it pulls into the lumber yard.  One of
 the men gets out and goes into the office. "I need some