Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Hi,
 Santiago> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Buddha Buck wrote:

 >> So all reference to essential packages (except for possibly sec.2.3.7)
 >> only refer to the fact that other packages don't have to depend on them.

 Santiago> Yes, because they are always on the system. But all those
 Santiago> facts are not a *definition* of essential but instead a set
 Santiago> of *properties* an essential package has when it is
 Santiago> essential. Do not confuse the rationale for making a
 Santiago> package essential with the properties it has when it is
 Santiago> essential.

	That's not all the tale. Yes, but the properties assigned to
 an essential package are such that reversing the flag, and making the
 package non-essential, entails effort (maybe a lot), and should only
 be undertaken for compeelling reasons. The fact that we are having
 this passionate debate indicates that the reasons have not been as
 compelling as desired.

	manoj
--
 These days the necessities of life cost you about three times what
 they used to, and half the time they aren't even fit to drink.