Re: Several reason a minimal POSIX /bin/bash is a bad idea

On 30 Jul 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	[I am going to be in hot water for this one]

Not with me ;-)

> 	I am disturbed by the several suggestions about making /bin/sh
>  a small, minimalist shell that offers just bare bones POSIX
>  environments and eschews some common shell practices for Linux (where
>  full featuresd shells have served as /bin/sh for the most part).

I have been having the same feelings, and since you expressed them so well
I have little to say in addition.

My one point is: As a user I depend on bash-history (the up arrow) and
several other features of Bash, and would be more than a bit disapointed
if the "default" shell was set to Ash.

Bash supposedly becomes "more posix" when run as /bin/sh. If it displays
"bashisms" that are undesirable, then bug reports should be filed and it
should be fixed.

I am in complete agreement with what you say below. Thanks!

> 	While elegant and great for the pedants amongst us, we should
>  realize that we are putting together a distribution, and there are
>  third party software developers we have to work with. POSIX
>  compliance is critical. But there is no reason why the command
>  interpreter can't be a super set.
>
> 	So while POSIX compliance is a disired goal, the shell should
>  not be unfriendly to non POSIX scripts, just like browsers parse
>  legal HTML, but they do their levbel best to accomodate bad HTML.
>
> 	Be liberal in what you accept, be very strict in what you
>  output. Our scripts that say /bin/sh should not have bashisms. Our
>  default /bin/sh should accept them.
>
> 	People who wish to test scripts should change their /bin/sh;
>  and we should tell people that using some other shell as /bin/sh may
>  increase performance.
>
> 	But we should not detrimentally affect the stability of the
>  system just because it makes us feel good that our shell is a
>  minimalist POSIX shell. I do not think the default should be changed
>  unless there are reasons far stronger than those which have been
>  presented.
>
> 	People, including third party software developers, may have
>  come to depend on /bin/sh being Bash. Also, since bash is essential,
>  we should not force yet another command interpreter on /; and bash
>  _does_ try to be more posixly correct when invoked as sh.
>
> 	People should be allowed to change /bin/sh. But the default
>  should not be changed.
>
> 	manoj
> --
>  "I see little divinity about them or you.  You talk to me of
>  Christianity when you are in the act of hanging your enemies.  Was
>  there ever such blasphemous nonsense!" Shaw, "The Devil's Disciple"
> Manoj Srivastava  <srivasta@acm.org> <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>
> Key C7261095 fingerprint = CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8 6E
>

> --

Dwarf