Re: Several reason a minimal POSIX /bin/bash is a bad idea

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 11:24:27PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	[I am going to be in hot water for this one]

naw ;)

> 	I am disturbed by the several suggestions about making /bin/sh
>  a small, minimalist shell that offers just bare bones POSIX
>  environments and eschews some common shell practices for Linux (where
>  full featuresd shells have served as /bin/sh for the most part).

As one of the peopel who suggested a "strict POSIX compliant shell made
to break anything using non-POSIX extensions" I actually agree with you.
I DO think we should have such a shell...and we should sym link /bin/sh
to it for testin gpurposes (just basically to see what breaks)

The idea being that the user can change /bin/sh and POSIX complience
is the "fundamental assumption" we are allowing ourselves to make about
/bin/sh

> 	So while POSIX compliance is a disired goal, the shell should
>  not be unfriendly to non POSIX scripts, just like browsers parse
>  legal HTML, but they do their levbel best to accomodate bad HTML.

<Htrgbeh> absolutely agreed  </Htrgbeh>

-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **