Re: Debian and the User Friendlies

Yes certainly but the issue that comes up again and again is
what 'trade-offs' are acceptable.  It seems that within the
developer community sacrificing technical excellence is not
an option.  The definition of exactly what constitutes a
'sacrificing of technical excellence' is not a rigidly defined
term.  Also, as the KDE "discussions" have clearly demonstrated,
compromising on principle isn't a favorite either.

The perception that developers "don't care about ease of use"
is just plain wrong and only displays a gross ignorance of the
scope and complexity of the issue on the part of the complainer.
I am not here 'firing at' those that identify areas where
improvements are needed, nor even those that 'propose' changes
that fail to account for critical factors but rather at those
that stoop to personal attacks, innuendos, and even assaults
upon the developer community as a whole.

There have been hundreds that perceived a problem, thought that
they had a viable solution and proposed a change.  It seem that
there are three responses (really only two) to the developer
community response when that response was perceived as negative.
The first is to defend the original 'proposal', often to the
point of technically irreverent attacks and then 'go away'.
The second is to just 'go away' quietly.  The third (rare) is
to 'take the bull by the horns' and serious work on finding
a solution.  This latter rare approach has yielded some pretty
dramatic enhancements to the debian project.

--
best,
-bill