Re: "goals" for slink: FHS

James R. Van Zandt <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com> wrote:
> The first major change I see is that documentation has moved to
> /usr/share.
>    1. Change the policy
>    2. Modify the man and info readers
>    3. Modify install-info
>    4. Modify debhelper and debmake
>    5. Ask developers
>    6. Modify lintian to issue a warning
>    7. (much later) Change the lintian warning to an error.
> I think the steps have to be done in pretty close to this order.

Alternative proposal:

1. Change the policy,
2. Make some essential package for slink provide the symlink
   /usr/share -> ..
3. Modify lintian to issue an error for use of /usr when /usr/share
   is appropriate, same for references to /usr/man, /usr/info, /usr/doc/.
4. update all packages and support programs.

5. Eventually, when everything is converted, modify that essential
   package so that /usr/share is a proper directory, and the documenation
   directories are moved under /usr/share/.

>    The only source code that should be placed in a specific location
>    is the Linux kernel source code. It is located in /usr/src/linux.

This is a completely bogus recommendation.  Essentially, it's implying
that distributions shouldn't provide source code.

--
Raul