Re: libgtk-dev bug?

Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:

> Assume you have a shell program named getstate, along the lines of:

But you can't say:

  LIBFILES = x.o y.o z.o

  $LIBFILES: $(LIBFILES:.o=.c)
    build_lib

  LIBFILES = a.o b.o c.o

  $LIBFILES: $(LIBFILES:.o=.c)
    build_lib

or better yet:

  define_macro handle_lib(x) {
    LIBFILES = $(LIBFILES:=.c)

    $LIBFILES: $(LIBFILES:.o=.c)
      build_lib
  }

  handle_lib(x y z)
  handle_lib(a b c)

Anyway, this is an "off the top of my head example".  There may be
very well be a better way to handle this particular situation, but I
maintain that even so, there are plenty of situations where make makes
things unnecessarily complex.

IMO it should have the features of a real language like real type-safe
macros, functions, real variables, real control constructs, etc.  It's
not like this stuff is rocket-science these days, and although perl is
not my first choice, it's fairly well suited, and it *already* has
plenty of the right features.

Oh well, I suppose I'm *way* off topic now.  I'll shut up.