Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

Chris Ulrich on Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 03:24:54PM -0700:
>   I'm new to debian but I'm not new to either unix or linux.  I recently
> installed debian on my laptop.  On my prior linux setup, I had pdksh as
> /bin/sh.  While I sometimes had problems with scripts, I never ran into
> showstoppers.  When I made ash or pdksh /bin/sh on my debian setup, things
> stopped working.  I consider this to be a serious problem with debian.
>
>   I can think of many reasons why bash should not be used as /bin/sh:

Easy solution:

	--enable-minimal-config 	a minimal sh-like configuration

Also just about everything else could be disabled, here is a complete
list (enabling minimal-config may default these all to no, and some
also don't apply, I'm not going to weed them out here):

	--with-afs              	if you are running AFS
	--with-curses           	use the curses library instead
					of the termcap library
	--with-glibc-malloc     	use the GNU C library version of malloc
	--with-gnu-malloc       	use the GNU version of malloc
	--with-purecov          	configure to postprocess with pure coverage
	--with-purify           	configure to postprocess with purify
	--enable-minimal-config 	a minimal sh-like configuration
	--enable-alias          	enable shell aliases
	--enable-array-variables        include shell array variables
	--enable-bang-history   	turn on csh-style history substitution
	--enable-brace-expansion        include brace expansion
	--enable-command-timing 	enable the time reserved word and command timing
	--enable-cond-command   	enable the conditional command
	--enable-directory-stack        enable builtins pushd/popd/dirs
	--enable-disabled-builtins      allow disabled builtins to still be
					invoked
	--enable-dparen-arithmetic      include ((...)) command
	--enable-extended-glob  	include ksh-style extended pattern matching
	--enable-help-builtin   	include the help builtin
	--enable-history        	turn on command history
	--enable-job-control    	enable job control features
	--enable-process-substitution   enable process substitution
	--enable-prompt-string-decoding turn on escape character decoding in
					prompts
	--enable-readline       	turn on command line editing
	--enable-restricted     	enable a restricted shell
	--enable-select         	include select command
	--enable-usg-echo-default       make the echo builtin expand escape
					sequences by default
	--enable-profiling              allow profiling with gprof
	--enable-static-link            link bash statically, for use as a root
					shell

Just make a minimal bash and use that as sh, the full one as bash.

--
Scott