Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:

> What about LANG=foo ? I would like to choose the preferred language for my
> system at install time, and have every shell inherit that setting.

Hm, I was about to say we should urge the libc people to create an /etc/lang
or /etc/linguas file for this. I still think this is correct, but it might
violate POSIX in an important way.

Various programs (like dpkg methods) count on being able to disable
localization by unsetting LANG or LC_ALL. Is this guaranteed? Or are they
supposed to be using locale(1) to do this?

If this is required by POSIX then it's a reasonable exception to make. But
it's still a local administrator setting an environment variable in /etc/env
which we already aim to support. It's not a case of a package needing to set
environment variables globally in order to work.

greg