Re: Fixing *other* libtool problem?

Rob Browning wrote:

> Lintian pointed out that plotutils produces shared libs without
> dependency information which requires linking the lib with "-lc".  The
> package uses libtool, and I applied the recommended patch to fix the
> -rpath problem, but I haven't figured out a satisfactory way to make
> libtool use "-lc" at the right point.  Suggestions?

I had to tackle this same problem for lesstif, and placed my solution
in the libtool-rpath-workaround file in lintian 0.4.5.
Here's the relevant text:

If you would rather not touch the configure.in file, and your
debian/rules file calls "configure" separately, you can try inserting
the following code right after the call to "configure":

====
# Patch the generated libtool to avoid passing -rpath when linking,
# and to explicitly link libraries against the libraries they
# depend on.
        sed < libtool > libtool-2 \
        -e 's/^hardcode_libdir_flag_spec.*$$/hardcode_libdir_flag_spec=" -D__LIB
TOOL_IS_A_FOOL__ "/' \
        -e '/^archive_cmds="/s/"$$/ \\$$deplibs"/'
        mv libtool-2 libtool
        chmod 755 libtool
====

This works if the configure script merely generates libtool and does
not try to use it itself.  See the lesstif package for an example
of where this works.