Fixing *other* libtool problem?

Lintian pointed out that plotutils produces shared libs without
dependency information which requires linking the lib with "-lc".  The
package uses libtool, and I applied the recommended patch to fix the
-rpath problem, but I haven't figured out a satisfactory way to make
libtool use "-lc" at the right point.  Suggestions?

What about adding fixes for both these problems directly into the
debian libtool package?  Perhaps some envt variable it checks like
LIBTOOL_USE_DEBIAN_PACKAGING_HACKS, or something.  Then you'd just
export this from debian/rules.