Re: package configuration design

[long explanation snipped]

I really like what you proposed. I think some thinks can be better
done:

1) let's separate the user interaction from the package configuration.
This can be done by adding a new control file (let's call it "questions")
that asks the user about configuration parameters and stores them in the
"registry" (eh eh ;). Then the usual scripts can retrieve the
informations by the use of your proposed command line tool (dpkg-vars).

2) let's have a a way to have the user answer all the questions and
then go get a cup of coffe while dpkg installs.
This can be done by dinstal putting all the "questions" control files
in a single distribution-wide file (just like the Packages.gz, let's
call it Questions.gz). dpkg (or, better, apt) can extract the questions
corresponding to the selected packages and run them one after the other
all before the install really begins. That way the user can configure the
system and then go away.

Obviously the user should be given the choice to not configure a package.
I think the best thing in that case is to have dpkg just unpack it
and log the name of the package. After the user can configure the
pending packages by just saying dpkg --configure --pending.

Ciao,

* Federico DI Gregorio ** GCS/S/>L d- s:>:+ a26 C++ UL++ P+++ L*+++>$ D *
*   <fog@debian.org>   ** W+>++ N+ o? !K w--->!$ O M- V-- PS+(+++) PE(--)
*   Debian Developer   ** Y+(-)(+)(-)... PGP+ s+ 5- X+++ R*<+(+++) b+++ *