Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> > Anyways, since it would be so much simpler not to have to provide
> > for every user to decide where to get the base tgz from, it would
> > probably be best to dedicate a dns name to this http server. That
> > way if we get popular enough to experience performance problems we
> > could move it onto its own machine (or machines, if we get that
> > far).
>
> Having a fixed site is not that desirable, it must be possible to
> select a custom site. All the user needs to enter is the base of the
> debian tree, ie, http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian and the rest of the
> path can be generated.

I would not object to this if:

(1) We supplied a default value and told the user that it's completely
ok to use that default, and
(2) If the user supplied a non-default value, apt would pick it up.

Remember that at the point where the user is asked to answer this
question, there's usually no way to look up reasonable things to
type in.

I'd also be happy if to change it from the default a file had to be
editted, as long as we document the file.

--
Raul