Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> >  2) There is no firewall support
>
> What kind of firewall has a problem with passive ftp?
>
> I'm really curious about this one.

Any sort of proxy firewall. http firewalls -amazingly- well, ftp is just
terribly hard :<

> > If size is an issue then a single file http query could be coded in
> > about 100-200 lines of C - it should be much smaller and more relable
> > than using nc.
>
> Yes, maybe even less than that.  I was originally thinking that http
> had too many complexities, but now that I think about it those are
> all in the server.

Yep, http is trivial, you could do it just like you did with nc if you
provide some smarts to strip the reply headers.

> Anyways, since it would be so much simpler not to have to provide for
> every user to decide where to get the base tgz from, it would probably
> be best to dedicate a dns name to this http server.  That way if we get
> popular enough to experience performance problems we could move it
> onto its own machine (or machines, if we get that far).

Having a fixed site is not that desirable, it must be possible to select a
custom site. All the user needs to enter is the base of the debian tree,
ie, http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian and the rest of the path can be
generated.

Jason