Re: RH and GNOME

Petra, Kevin J Poorman on Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 08:49:36AM -0500:
> > Second hand? I think you read that wrong, perhaps you could clarify
> > exactly what I said that degrades Linux? And BTW do people really hate
> > Win95 that use it and haven't been exposed to better?
>
> you seemed to indicate complatenness at the thought of linux being a os
> for those who "work with computers, operating systems, networking, ..." To
> me that means your happy to let others swing in the breaze with 98.
> leaving 98 mainstream.... and linux second hand... which is wrong IMO.

Yes, I don't think that people that don't "work with computers,
operating systems, networking, ..." necessarily have any need for Linux.
It's overkill.  Maybe I'm wrong, but in any case I still don't see how
that means that I think Linux is "second-hand" when in fact I state that
professionals would use the OS...

> yes some do hate 95 even thought they have not been exposed to new
> things... I was that way 2 years ago, lots of ppl I know hated it, and
> hate it more now that they no something better exists... the reason they
> don't convert... apps.

Really, like which apps? I've found a replacement for everything I used
to use in Windows, without exception, save for games, which Windows
blows everyone away with in number and quality (of some), you have to
admit.

> so they can't use it at work ... and users help
> when there starting is the main reason they don't install it at home.

Well, I didn't have any help aside from the Internet when I first
started, and I would have to boot into Windows to do that, but I got a
terminal program working in short order and could work off my ISP's
shell while still in Linux...no one really helped me, I did it all by
myself.  Because I know it's possible and know that I would never have
learned to the degree that I did without having taken this
tackle-by-horns method directly uphill, I am eager to insist that others
do so, especially for the Debian project, which shouldn't have to bother
with people who either don't know Linux, or aren't willing to learn by
brute force.

> > > then debian should redefine what it is about... in a more clear manner.
> >
> > Why do you set Debian's goals? And what is ambiguous that needs
> > redefinition or clarification?
>
> I don't set the goals ... and as far as I can tell aside from release
> goals the only goal of debian is to provide free software....

Ok, then why the "Debian should redefine...?"

> > > if debian is content to let users, sink, fine but state it on the web
> > > page, and make it known. it's like you know I'm right but are to
> > > ashamed to publish the fact that ... you don't care.
> >
> > Exactly the opposite.  It's encouraging people to not learn about their
> > computer that is "[letting them]...sink."
>
> but you can't sit back and tell them "learn about your computer so that
> you have enpouh knowlage to install linux" when the only os they have to
> learn on hides EVERYTHING from them.

Hmm well, I did it, and it really wasn't all that hard...Windows doesn't
hide "EVERYTHING" from you, despite your feelings on the matter...really
all you need is working knowledge of partitions, use of FDISK, how to
download, how to web search, how to read.  Can you tell me of some other
knowledge that is required?

--
Scott