Re: RH and GNOME

Raul Miller on Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 08:07:43AM -0400:
> > Ok, then perhaps I am sheltered.  My opinion is that if they want to
> > defect, let them, they are kruft.
> [...]
> They have made a decision, based on their own value system, that
> they're going to do something else for a while. You don't have to
> despise them for doing that.

I don't.  They have a place just like everyone else, of course...but I'm
left to wonder if Debian is the place for them.  As has been pointed
out, I'm not a developer/maintainer, so I suppose I have no right to say
what their "place" is.  But I certainly don't despise them -- I said
"kruft" as in, their relation to Debian...useless baggage IMO.

> There are some serious problems with debian: the biggest is that we
> don't tell enough people about it, or what it can do for them.  [For
> that matter, we haven't done much research into what people need out
> of an os distribution.]

But that's the whole point.  Why does it have to be visible like that.
The lack of visibility is itself a screen, to filter out the people that
wouldn't make good Debian users anyways.  Debian is like, known to
anyone that uses Linux seriously, it's mentioned in all the
documentation, distribution-HOWTO, etc...

> I think we can solve these problems while improving what's good about
> us, but I don't think it's necessary to create a big gap between us
> and Red Hat to do so.

Certainly not, but why incur overlap...

> It's the combination of code + documentation that we should be
> improving.

Well that wouldn't be so bad, I think this would be healthy.
Documentation is always a good thing...just not exactly as fun as
writing code :)

> > it's the hacker distribution, put together by hackers, for hackers,
> > in a way to encourage proficient hacking.  So really I don't see
> > anything contradictory with not caring about newbies.
>
> I don't think it's necessary to not care about newbies.

No no, not to actively "not care" just not to actively care.

--
Scott