Re: RH and GNOME

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 11:33:28AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I think WindowMaker also has a machine-manageable file format library.
>
> Both the Gnome and WindowMaker systems are editable by hand as well as
> machine.

I'd guess you mean libPropList? Yup. It's machine manageable and it's
editable by hand. Looks like this:

{
  Dock = {
    Applications = (
      {
        Command = "-"; Name = Logo.WMDock;
        AutoLaunch = No; Forced = No;
        Position = "0,0";
      },
      {
        Command = "/usr/X11R6/bin/wmload -shape -withdrawn";
        Name = wmload.WMLoad;
        AutoLaunch = Yes;
        Forced = No;
        Position = "0,1";
      }
    }
  }
}

there are several types for the keys (string, number, and arrays)

The author plans to add support for a fallback mechanism, and the
application doesn't to know about it. Basically, you ask for some key/value
pair from a Domain, and the library would look in:

	~/GNUstep/Defaults/Domain
	/etc/GNUstep/Defaults/Domain
	gssd://server/Domain

but this is not yet implemented. (And there's a nasty problem with the
locking mechanism that prevents libPropList from working over NFS)

There are utilities to merge Domains, extract things from Domains and put
things back into Domains. It's very nice indeed.

					Marcelo